Papers in Refereed Journals:
1. Lachman, R. Watson, C. 2010 “Creating a User-steerable Media Presentation-system as a Canadian/Australian Distance-Learning Project.”, Australasian Canadian Studies, Vol 28, No 2 , Pages 97-112.
Papers in Refereed Conference Proceedings:.
Harley, Daniel, and Richard Lachman. "CHI PLAY 2014: the bellman: subtle interactions in a linear narrative." Proceedings of the first ACM SIGCHI annual symposium on Computer-human interaction in play. ACM, 2014.
Lachman, Richard. "Preliminary Results from a University-Based Incubator for Transmedia Digital Prototypes." Proceedings of EdMedia: The World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications. Vol. 2014. No. 1. 2014.
Lachman, R. “TIFF.Nexus: A collaborative cross-media development project across across Academic and Creative Media sectors”, Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Education and Learning Technologies (EduLearn 12). Barcelona, Spain
Lachman, R. Clare, A. Lieberman, W. “Rock Mars: cross-industry collaboration on a rich media educational experience (Preliminary Results),” Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, Volume 9, World Conference on Learning, Teaching and Administration Papers, 2010, Pages 1352-1356, ISSN 1877-0428, DOI: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2010.12.333.
Lachman, R and Watson, Charles 2010 “Creating a User-steerable Media Presentation-system as a Canadian/Australian Distance-Learning Research Project”, in Proceedings of the 15th Biennial Conference of the Australian and New Zealand Association for Canadian Studies (Armidale, Australia)
Lachman, R. Clare, A. Liberman, W. “Mars Rocks: Cross-Industry Collaboration on a Rich-Media Education Experience” in Edulearn10, the Proceedings of the International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies 2010, pages 5121-5129
Lachman, R. 2008. Diamond Road Online: a user-guided documentary experience. In ACM SIGGRAPH 2008 New Tech Demos (Los Angeles, California, 2008). SIGGRAPH '08. ACM, New York, NY,
Lachman, Richard. (1997). "Mapping Character Animation to Computer Interface". Proceedings of the Workshop on Animated Interface Agents, IJCAII. Nagoya, Japan.
Stern, Andrew; Lachman, Richard and Harrington, Alan. (1998) "Virtual Petz 3: Breeding and Environments". Lifelike Characters Conference (Snowbird, Utah, USA)
Major Invited Contributions and/or Technical Reports:
Abstracts and/or Papers Read:
1. Lachman, R., Pringle, R. “Prototyping as a Methodology for Creative Media Enterprises”. Academy of Innovation and Entrepreneurship Conference. 205. Toronto, Canada
2. Lachman, R. "Learning Experiences for New Media Literacies: A Case-Study in Cross-Disiplinary Prototyping", European Conference on Technology in the Classroom. 2014. Brighton, UK
3. Lachman, R 2008 “Broadcast Television and Online Communities: A Case Study” Association of Internet Researchers 9 conference, refereed abstract (Copenhagen, DK, 2008)
1. Lachman, R. (2015) Interacting with the Interactive, DocCircuit/RIDM (Montreal, Canada): panel moderator
2. Lachman, R. (2015) Transitions, lecture, Performing Arts Centre Consortium Symposium (Toronto, Canada): invited lecture
3. Lachman, R. (2014) Documentary Virtual Reality, workshop, HotDocs Festival (Toronto, Canada): workshop
4. Lachman, R. (2013) The Future of Entertainment, lecture, Council of Ontario Universities ‘Research Matters’ series (Toronto, Canada): invited lecture
5. Lachman, R. (2013) Locative Media, DIY Days, workshop (Toronto, Canada): Workshop
6. Lachman, R. (2012) The DigiDoc Forecast, panel, Planet in Focus (Toronto, Canada): Panel Moderator
7. Lachman, R. (2012) Renga and the Future of Interactive Cinema, panel, Toronto Iternational Film Festival (Toronto, Canada): Panel Moderator
8. Lachman, R. (2012) New Media Literacies, seminar, NML Jam, TIFF.Nexus Youth and New Media Literacies project (Toronto, ON): Invited lecture
9. Lachman, R. (2011) Opportunities in Digital Media, lecture, Canada-India Innovation Summit (Ottawa, ON): invited lecture
10. Lachman, R (2011) New technologies for digital documentary, panel, docSHIFT Conference (Toronto, Canada): Panellist
11. Lachman, R. (2011) Locative Media, Locative Media Day,, lecture, TIFF.Nexus Conference (Toronto, Canada): Invited lecture
12. Lachman, R (2011) Opportunities in Digital Media, lecture, Canada-India Innovation Summit (Carleton University, Ottawa, ON): Invited lecture
13. Lachman, R (2011) Creating Transmedia Entertainment for Children: Multi-Platform Content Meets New Media Literacy, lecture, Sprockets Toronto International Film Festival for Children and Youth (Toronto, Canada): Invited lecture
14. Lachman, R 2010 Northern Visions: Digital Gaming and Digital Media in Canada (Panel), Game Education Summit 2010 (Los Angeles, USA): Invited Lecture and Panellist
15. Lachman, R 2009, “A Spreading Activation Net approach to Interactive Documentary”, International Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology, refereed poster (Athens, Greece)
16. Lachman, R 2008 “Storytelling 2.0”, nextMEDIA 2008 conference presentation (Banff, Canada): Invited lecture
17. Lachman, Richard (2007) “Diamond Road Online”, panel discussion, DOC-IT, Toronto, Canada): Presentation/Panellist
18. Lachman, Richard (2007) “Interactive Multimedia in International Co-productions”, panel discussion, Sunny Side of the Doc, (Montreal, Canada): Panellist
19. Lachman, Richard (2005) "Intro to AI", Lecture, Communication, Culture and Information Technology, lecture, U of Toronto/Sheridan College (Toronto, Canada): Invited lecture
20. Lachman, Richard (2004) "Artificial Intelligence and Believable Characters". Lecture, Interactive Multimedia, Sheridan College. (Toronto, Canada): Invited lecture
21. Diamond, Sara, Lachman,Richard et al (2004). CodeZebra: The Making of Software, Video
22. Lachman, Richard (2004) McLuhan International Festival of the Future, Panel discussion (Toronto, ON): Panellist
23. Diamond, Sara, Lachman, Richard et al (2004), “Code Zebra”, performance, DEAF Festival (Rotterdam, NL): Software and Dance/performance art project, Software Technical Director
24. Lachman, Richard (2002) "Animist and Filmic Techniques in User Interface Design". Panel discussion on User Interface Design at BNMI Boot Camp (Banff, Canada): Panellist
25. Lachman, Richard (2002) "Code Zebra". Presented at Artificial Stupidity/Artificial Intelligence, lecture, Banff New Media Institute Workshop, (Banff, Canada)
26. Lachman, Richard (2002) "Alternate Strategies in Scientific Visualization". Panel discussion on "Visualization, Semantics and Aesthetics", International Conference on Information Visualization (London, UK): Conference Presentation
27. Lachman, Richard (2002) "Degrassi: The Next Generation -- Techniques in Developing a Reusable Online Story Engine", lecture, Interactive Screen, Banff New Media Institute Workshop (Banff, AB): Invited Lecture
28. Lachman, R., Schütte, A. (1997). "Spelunk! – A networked proxy for community interaction", Laughing Matters, Interval Research Workshop (Palo Alto, USA): Presentation, Workshop on computation and humour
29. Lachman, Richard. (1997). "Maitre-D: A Site-based Agent for Web-Page Recommendation." MIT Media Lab Interactive Cinema Technical Report. January: Whitepaper
30. Morgenroth, L., Lachman, R., Davenport, G. (1996)."Lurker". performance, Exploding Cinema, 25th International Film Festival. (Rotterdam, NL): Alternate Reality Game experience developed at MIT Media Lab; Research Assistant and Software Developer
31. Davenport, G., Lachman, R. (1996)."Australian Rules Lurker", performance, Language of Interactivity conference, Australian Film Commission. Summer (Sydney, Australia): Alternate Reality Game experience experience developed at MIT Media Lab; Research Assistant and Software Developer